Friday, September 7, 2012

lollipop


It all started with a fresh white sheet of Rives BFK.
I used a rag, a big brush and my elbow
to spread color everywhere.
Looked at it for a while from every direction.
Kept looking.
Eventually, an image appeared.
Once it did, I knew it was there for good. 

I did an idle sketch of what I saw.


Then I drew it on the BFK.


I liked everything about it,
 except, egads! 
This guy has a head like a lollipop!
And just look at that poor dog... 
no doubt checking for exits.

Me, too.

The guy in the sketch is moderately funny-looking,
in a goofy character-y kind-of-way,
but that fathead in the painting is a total sucker.

So far, I think there might be enough to this painting
to make it worth saving.
 But the outline was a mistake;
I should've worked with masses.

I sometimes wish there were such a thing as
 someone who'd swoop in with
  some good advice, maybe a nice glass of wine
and another fresh sheet of Rives.
Put me and The Sucker out of our misery.
The dog can stay.

Wish, wish, wish.

6 comments:

Kevin Mizner said...

I, for one, like what you've started here. I can also commiserate with your painter's block. 16, 17 years ago, I had a two year stretch where I didn't paint a thing! Two years! I wanted to paint, but everytime I sat down to start something, all ideas vanished. Then one day I picked up an old painting and put about three brush strokes on it, and BOOM! I haven't stopped since. The well isn't dry, it's replenishing! BTW, that dog isn't biting anything, is he?....

SamArtDog said...

Not even a lollipop.

hw (hallie) farber said...

So....make the guy's head a lollipop and let everyone at the museum wonder what you were thinking.

Wherever you are these day, I think I'm in the same place--art is not as natural as breathing these days.

I'm glad Kevin asked my burning question.

Celeste Bergin said...

well, I like this..I get the feeling the guy works as a butcher and the dog gets tasty morsels from time to time. I hope you go further with it. It has fantastic potential IMHO!

SamArtDog said...

Hey, Hallie, maybe there's a docent at the museum who can clear it all up for me!

SamArtDog said...

Celeste, I thought I spotted a butcher, too. But I hesitated to put "tasty morsels" in his hand, for fear of the "ew!" factor.