Saturday, April 13, 2013

sam's salon


Allow me to introduce the latest members of my salon,
a nesting pair of osprey.
Meet the missus...


Being shameless, equal-opportunity hanger-outers,
they'd be happy to hang with you, too.
The Boulder Open Space webcam site is quite informative,
but I should warn you;
watching this slice of life is totally addictive!

It's the dog's absolute favorite channel.


After the past weeks of
 intensive nest-construction and protein-consumption,


it's a race to see who will get here first,
the next snowstorm or the eggs.

My favorite fun fact is that, 
after raising the kids, 
both adults go to South America for the winter season.
Though the pair mates for life,
 they vacation ALONE.
Wait, ladies, it gets better.
Mid-April, himself returns to the same nest.
and spends two weeks fixing up the house
 and rearranging the trash.
Only then does herself return.
Click below the webcam window to see her homecoming.
What a big girl.
She really throws the lumber around, doesn't she?


3 comments:

hw (hallie) farber said...

What a life--just six months together; then off to separate vacations. These sites are addictive. I've watched eagles, falcons, and ospreys. Thanks for the link. Is that a bird dog?

SamArtDog said...

Hallie,
Garrett is what's called "prey-driven". So if you put a bird in front of him, he'll be a bird dog. However, he'll also chase whatever runs away. Squirrels, cats, mice, prairie dogs, fish. It's about the chase, not the game.
Fortunately, he's generally very well-behaved and does what I say. Unless there are peacocks involved.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I totally love it!
I was hooked on the Decorah Eagles live cam for a spell and I will have to check this out. What a great relationship ;)